Tardy sweeps: Round two

Back to Article
Back to Article

Tardy sweeps: Round two

When the administration implemented tardy sweeps last school year, reactions were mostly negative: good students were getting caught up in the sweeps and missing valuable class time, and security guards and staff members patrolling the hallways were unnecessarily aggressive and unfair. Granted, students do linger too long after class starts and wander the halls during class, but that does not compensate for the ramifications of this policy.

The targeted demographic of tardy sweeps, those who skip class, are most likely not going to alter their priorities if they are forced into the cafeteria for 20 minutes. In fact, that is probably what they want– to not be in class.

Additionally, dedicated students should not be frightened that if they happen to be in the hallway during a tardy sweep, then they will be transported to the cafeteria and miss valuable instruction. This mentality has already started to create a tense environment in the school between students, administration and security.

These complaints might sound familiar. H2N published an editorial last school year about tardy sweeps when they were first implemented, and the assertions made were the same as they are now. However, instead of adjusting the tardy sweep policy according to feedback from students and staff, administration has exacerbated the problem by shortening passing time from six minutes to five.

This shortened passing time is only making the commute between classes more difficult for students. Congestion in the hallways is still very problematic, and even with the shortened time as a motivator for getting to class, simply walking from the English hallway to the history hallway takes at least three minutes. Underclassmen who have to walk to the other side of the school for gym or middle schoolers who have to walk all the way to the technology rooms face an even longer journey.

Going to the bathroom or stopping at a locker restrains passing time even moreso. Students are lucky if there isn’t a line of at least four others in the bathrooms, and then if they are forced to go during class, they miss instruction time. In some cases, students can’t go during class because they have significant AP tests, and every second counts.

However, administration is right about one thing: there is a problem that needs to be solved. The evident lack of courtesy and awareness of those who stand in the middle of the hallway to talk to their friends while other students are trying to get by is one issue, but the most prominent is that some students simply do not care enough to get to class on time or at all.