Student apathy dilutes the impact of Dare to Care week

Back to Article
Back to Article

A student wears different socks to emphasize empathy.

Samantha Wenger

Samantha Wenger

Samantha Wenger

Monday, Oct. 29 kicked off Dare to Care week for Hayfield students and staff. Along with administration, Student to Student (S2S), a club that is dedicated to helping new students feel welcomed and accepted by others, helped to create a week of encouraging spirit days to bring Hayfield students closer together. Each day of the week had a correlating theme, and students were expected to dress according to the theme. For example, the purpose of the first spirit day was to encourage students to show empathy and wear their favorite sports jerseys to represent how students can ‘team up’ against bullying.

S2S President Brooke Smith felt that Dare to Care was a success. Smith would have liked it to receive the same amount of attention as Homecoming spirit days, but considering that this club has only existed at Hayfield for a few years, Smith feels that they will soon capture the attention of as many students as other spirit weeks. 

Samantha Wenger
Students wrote encouraging phrases on sticky notes to motivate passing students.

Sophomore S2S members Trini Talbot and Mariana Buenabentura seemed to have different opinions of Dare to Care Week than Smith. Talbot felt that organizers did a great job showing their spirit and spreading positive messages, but despite their enthusiasm, not many other students cared.

“I feel like [Dare to Care week is] not as hyped up as homecoming spirit days because there’s more anticipation for it than there is for S2S,” Talbot said.

Organizers used social media and put signs up to spread the word, but despite these efforts, there were still large numbers of students who did not participate. Some students just don’t seem to care, which contradicts the message emphasized in Dare to ‘Care’ week.