Filed under Editorial, Showcase

Pandemonium in the parking lot causes frustration among students

At first glance, the junior parking lot is thoroughly harmless and notably average. Cars of all shapes and sizes line the narrow expanse of road, providing passerbyers a glimpse of the diversity that lies within Hayfield’s brick walls.

This tranquil image, however, belies the problems plaguing the parking lot– problems that are impeding both safety and day-to-day operations.

The issues begin in the morning with the arrival of students, as countless parents decide to drop their children off in the junior and staff parking lots, rather than go to Kiss n’ Ride on the other side of the school.

Their intent is completely understandable– the Kiss n’ Ride line is a hassle, and for adults who most likely have a job to get to, the convenience of the junior and staff lots is enticing.

Yet, the constant flow of parents in and out of the lots during arrival is more than a mere disturbance; it overcrowds the junior lot and creates an unpredictable atmosphere, making students–typically new drivers–more vulnerable.

To complicate matters further, several teachers park in the junior lot because of its proximity to the school, which has forced students who are arriving later to park in the staff lot and be at risk for ticketing by school security as available spots run out.

To put it simply, the junior parking lot is for students only– not parents or teachers.

This early morning discourse is not even the predominant source of agitation among students; the daily mayhem that ensues in the junior parking lot when school ends far exceeds it.

Not only is it practically impossible to leave the parking lot during dismissal because of buses exiting and the typical traffic of Telegraph Road, but it’s also dangerous. Many students refrain from leaving the school until at least 15 minutes after dismissal, as the traffic both in the parking lot and when one attempts to turn onto Telegraph is too much of a challenge. The junior lot is considerably narrow, leaving very little room and visibility to pull out of a parking spot safely, with students gallivanting around the seemingly immobile line of cars that are attempting to leave.

When the congestion begins to dissipate, some students take the opportunity to recklessly race through the lot at hazardous speeds, not even slowing down to look for pedestrians or other cars pulling out. This makes exiting a parking spot precarious, as visibility is mitigated by the confined layout of the lot.

There is always talk of a need for student drivers to be more conscious and responsible, yet most students are not culpable for the central issues of the Hayfield parking lots; administration and parents need to rethink commute patterns in order to make school as accessible and safe as it should be.