Filed under Opinion, Showcase

Sex education doesn’t cover enough bases

Sometime last year, I was watching a segment of “Last Week Tonight” that focused on our country’s low standards for sex education. As John Oliver critiqued clip after clip of videos shown in health classrooms across the country, I was shocked when I realized that I had seen one of the videos just a few weeks before during the Family Life Education (FLE) health unit at Hayfield. The video featured two teens: a boy attempting to make sexual advances, and a girl reluctantly trying to resist the advances. The point of the video was to offer female students suggestions on how to resist sexual advances from their boyfriends. At the time that I had seen it in class, I didn’t really find the video problematic at all, but Oliver made me realize that the video was missing an important component: it never addressed its male audience about the importance of not aggressively making sexual advances in the first place.

This experience made me realize how horrifically lacking our sex education system is in Fairfax County. The issues don’t end with that clip; one of the major problems with sex education in FCPS and across the United States is that most of it is abstinence based.

The FCPS webpage on FLE states that, “lessons include age-appropriate instruction in family living and community relationships, abstinence education, the value of postponing sexual activity, the benefits of adoption as a positive choice in the event of an unwanted pregnancy and human sexuality and human reproduction.” Clearly, abstinence is emphasized as being the best option for all teenagers.

I remember feeling infuriated whenever a teacher said that “choosing to remain abstinent is the only way to avoid contracting an STI” when plenty of girls who might choose to be abstinent are raped every year. The philosophy that ignorance promotes abstinence, the principle upon which most sex education in the United States is based, is blatantly incorrect and frankly despicable. In 2015, 41 percent of high school students admitted to having participated in sexual intercourse, meaning that, while FCPS teachers preach that abstinence is the best way to live a healthy lifestyle, a little less than half of their students have already lost their virginities (Advocates for Youth). Schools should not guilt trip students for having sex. Instead, FCPS should focus more on informing students about safe sexual practices.

To be fair, different types of contraceptives were covered extensively during FLE in my sophomore year, although bias towards abstinence was clearly present. However, in Fairfax County, teachers are not allowed to bring physical examples of contraceptives into classrooms, meaning that students probably will not know enough about how to use them when the time comes.

Another problem with sex education in FCPS is the extremely narrow definition of sex presented in the curriculum. The entirety of the program focuses on vaginal sex, treating this traditional definition of sex as the only legitimate one. This is both incorrect and horrendously heteronormative. While a brief segment on sexuality was recently added to the curriculum, information about how same sex partners can engage in safe sexual intercourse and what contraceptives they could potentially use to avoid contracting STIs was nonexistent. The internet should not be the main source of information on safe sex for LGBTQ students.

Finally, the notion of engaging in sex for pleasure rather than procreation is completely lost during FLE. This probably stems from the curriculum’s heavy emphasis on the virtues of abstinence. I don’t recall ever hearing the word ‘orgasm’ mentioned in class, and there was certainly no discussion of female ejaculation. If the purpose of school is to educate students, then they should not shy away from teaching students about ordinary bodily functions.

Students are going to have sex. Instead of focusing on preventing the inevitable, the FLE curriculum should prepare students for navigating sexual relationships in a safe and healthy way. By eliminating outdated, abstinence-centric lessons and teaching curriculum relevant to today’s social norms, Fairfax County can provide students with a far more useful education.

1 Comment

One Response to “Sex education doesn’t cover enough bases”

1. cash on April 19th, 2018 2:02 pm

Responding to the section where you state: “I remember feeling infuriated whenever a teacher said that “choosing to remain abstinent is the only way to avoid contracting an STI” when plenty of girls who might choose to be abstinent are raped every year”.

What does this have to do with anything? This is like saying: “I remember being mad when my teacher told me that “the only way to avoid drowning is to not swim” when plenty of people are pushed into pools every year.

I do not see the reasoning nor the relevance of this. The only two conclusion I could come up with from the statement is either 1)You are suggesting that students shouldn’t be abstinent because they may be raped anyways or 2) You are saying that staying abstinent doesn’t 100% guarantee that you won’t get an STI , because someone might rape you and give you one anyways.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Sex education doesn’t cover enough bases

Opinion

Inquiring about someone’s race is offensive

Opinion

The school doesn’t practice what it preaches

Opinion

Implications of Pyeongchang Olympics

Arts and Entertainment

“Black Panther” changes the face of Hollywood forever

Opinion

North Korea’s participation in the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics is something to celebrate

Opinion

Opponents in the gun control debate have the same goal

Opinion

Denying climate change does not fix the planet

Opinion

A white history month is unnecessary to society

Opinion

Spirit days have lost their direction

Opinion

Trump’s Presidency: Year in Review