Filed under Opinion

Spirit days have lost their direction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spirit days have lost their direction

Spirit weeks have long been an effective way to increase school spirit, but if no one is willing to participate in them, what does that tell the Student Government Association? People do not take part in these weeks for many reasons: the days are not publicized very well, they do not have themes that everyone is willing to participate in and they require an enormous amount of planning in order to pull off a good outfit.

However, out of these, I think one the largest reason people do not participate in spirit days is because they are not advertised. The posters for the different days go up on the Friday before the actual spirit week, and students are expected to seek out a poster that is on the back wall of the lobby, but truthfully, it’s after school on a Friday, and the students are more motivated to get home then seek out a poster. It is a good place to announce things to the school, but when the poster finally goes up on Friday, no one is going to look at it. The themes for the week go up on the Hayfield SGA Twitter page as well, but many students do not have a Twitter account in order to see announcements. This means that the students do not know what the following Monday’s spirit day is going to be, which explains why only a couple of students per grade participate. If they decided to start spreading the word before the week before, more people, at least, would take part on Monday.

The actual theme of the days is also a cause for concern; they either are not intriguing enough to make people want to participate or require too much work. Spirit days are supposed to be fun and bring all the students together, but when barely 10 percent of the students partake, the spirit days are not that fun.

There were only two days this past winter spirit week that had a large turnout: “Scholar vs. Baller” and “White Out.” Sports are widely loved at Hayfield, meaning that more than half of the school would want to wear their favorite sports jersey, while the other half of the students could wear a button up shirt and a pair of glasses, and they would be considered a nerd or “scholar.” Any day that includes wearing a specific color is going to be easy to participate in as well because most of the students have at least one piece of clothing that is the selected color. But when the day is “Decades Day” and many students do not already have the clothes to participate, it is likely that not many will.

If a spirit day like “Character Day” or “Decades Day” requires a costume, the number of participants is going to go down. There needs to be easier days that would be fun for anyone to participate in, such as pajama day. I understand that the school has banned pajama day because several students were taking advantage of the day by wearing clothes that are against the school dress code, but that is still probably one of the best ideas for a spirit day.

Spirit days are especially important to the senior class; this is their last year at Hayfield, and they really want to show their school spirit. Seniors go all out for these days, but when they are too difficult to partake in, the senior class gets disappointed. In addition, it’s disappointing that only one out of the six grade levels at Hayfield are genuinely motivated to participate in the spirit days. If the spirit days were publicized better and more people were able to participate, Hayfield would have a more close-knit community.