Filed under News, Showcase

Giant’s closure may have a GIANT impact

Giant+on+its+closing+day%2C+Jan.+25%2C+2018.+
Giant on its closing day, Jan. 25, 2018.

Jessica Probst

Jessica Probst

Giant, the supermarket located in the Hayfield Plaza Shopping Center, officially closed on Jan. 25, 2018. As the main attraction of the shopping center, Giant has been an essential part of the Hayfield community for years. The store’s closure will force members of the community to make adjustments to their routines, and it will leave customers without a place of convenience and comfort.

With the shopping center being in such close proximity to both Hayfield elementary and secondary schools, Giant has appealed to teachers and students alike. Oftentimes, students would walk to Giant between the end of school and the beginning of their extracurricular activities to get food and other supplies, taking advantage of the store’s convenience.

“It’s going to be harder to get small things that you might have forgotten,” junior Grant Johnson said. “It was so convenient to just run up there since it’s so close.”

Many members of Hayfield agree that the loss of Giant will cause a disruption, as shoppers will now have to find to new grocery store to meet their demands.

“For anything that our family needed urgently we were able to take a quick trip to Giant,” junior Logan McLaren said. “Now we will either need to take a longer trip to the Giant in Kingstowne or go to Wegmans.”

Not only did Giant contribute to the community through its convenience, it also served as a hub of interaction among local customers.

“It is a social center where I go with friends,” sophomore Sarah Wilsey said. “I’m greeted by the friendly faces working the [cash registers] that I’ve known since I moved to Hayfield.”

While community members who live closest to the shopping center will be heavily affected, those who live further away will most likely not be as distressed by the store’s absence. Still, many admit that the region closest to the shopping center, including the schools, will be critically impacted.

“[Giant] supplies jobs to people in the community, and with it gone, a bunch of people will lose their jobs,” freshman Max von Kolnitz said. “It will impact the community around it pretty negatively unless it’s replaced with an equal or greater type of grocery store that can bring business to the area and supply jobs like Giant did.”

As speculation about what will replace Giant has developed, many rumors have begun to spread. However, the only certainty is that the location is available for lease, as advertised by a sign in front of the shopping center. Still, many students are concerned about the outcome of the rest of the businesses in the Hayfield Plaza.

“The closure of the main store in the shopping center will probably cause the closing of most of the places, if not all,” said Johnson. “I mean if Hot Bagel closes, where will everyone go?”

While the future of the shopping center is unclear, it is certain that Giant’s closure alone will have a considerable impact on the Hayfield community.

The loss of the grocery store may be devastating to many, but other developments in the area give residents something to look forward to. According to “Covering the Corridor,” the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors approved a plan in 2017 to put a Dunkin Donuts between 7-Eleven and Hayfield Secondary on Telegraph Road.

The remaining candy stock on Jan. 25, 2018.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Giant’s closure may have a GIANT impact”

1. Sue and Jim Winkler on January 26th, 2018 5:28 pm

Thank you for this! We have shopped here at least twice a week for over 30 years. Now that we are senior citizens, it will be more difficult to get groceries and prescriptions.
    Sorry to say, I never thought of the hardship on the students and teachers! We will miss you, Hayfield Giant!

2. Nikki Cotton on January 26th, 2018 9:29 pm

Nice article Cecile Farrell. The Giant will truly be missed it was such a nice neighborhood grocery store. I enjoyed shopping there.

3. Gingee on January 27th, 2018 1:23 am

Where are all the shoppers from the new development they are building on telegraph supposed to go? Bad business decision.

4. Bob Bowman on January 27th, 2018 2:57 pm

Nice article Cecily. Giant will truly be missed by the Hayfield community.

5. Terry Brennan on March 13th, 2018 1:16 pm

I’m glad it’s gone – there is a reckoning underway in northern Virginia. Giant’s time is up. Bring on the competition of Wegmans, HT, Publix, etc. The game has changed, and fortunately for all of us the players DO NOT remain the same.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Giant’s closure may have a GIANT impact

News

Senior ad deadline is approaching

News

Hawk Writing Center presents at state conference

News

Hayfield Car Show takes a cruise through the past

News

Hayfield Blood Donor Club

Feature

The ins and outs of Hayfield’s new Mock Trial Club

News

Model UN club plans for the future

News

Virginia’s complicity in the demise of the Equal Rights Amendment

News

Consequences of the Syrian bombing

News

Upcoming Eastern European tour enrollment is open

• News

2017-2018 Advanced Placement, SOL and finals schedule

Giant’s closure may have a GIANT impact